Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thea Cadabra - David Bowie & Rainbow Shoes!

Thea Cadabra's shoe designs totally and completely blow my mind.  I chose to paint two of my favorites - one is of her "Lunar Loper" bootie - designed in 1979, it was inspired by David Bowie's song "Space Oddity." The booties are literally electric (the side lights blink and the back rocket glows and spins).  I painted them in acrylic (my new favorite medium) and chose to use the same font that is used on David Bowie's "Space Oddity" single. 


Her "All Weather" heels, were also painted in acrylic.  I loved painting the shimmery fabric in the clouds and rainbows.  The hardest part of these paintings was the fact that photo references of Thea's shoes are pretty hard to find.  Like several of my other paintings, I ended up arranging my own heels and boots the way I wanted to capture the composition and made a lot of educated guesses.  So far these are both my favorite pieces.


xoxo
Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment