Sunday, March 16, 2014

Kitten Mittons - Cats Wearing Cats Series


I just finished this painting as part of the "Cats Wearing Cats" series.  While making my list of ideas for the series I not only looked at runway fashion, I also wanted to include some pop culture references.  Always Sunny In Philadelphia has been one of my favorite shows for years, and while watching a bunch of past seasons on Netflix, a little gear clicked and I knew Charlie Day's "Kitten Mittons" would make a good painting in the series.  Keeping true to the general concepts, this little kitten is wearing red mittens (similar to the ones the grey cat wears in the video), but I added green button eyes (to match the cat's) and a little knitted cat face on each one.  I also wanted the cat to look annoyed by the mitten on it's paw and to be reminiscent of the character of Sweet Dee since she always seems to get picked on by the guys.  I like that the cat looks like it's seconds away from ripping the little mitten to shreds, as I'm pretty sure a mitten on my cat Mia would last about 2.5 seconds.

Here's Charlie Day in his inspirational "Kitten Mitton" video:



xoxo

Ray


No comments:

Post a Comment